The playground walls, or handball walls, which are presently encased in scaffolding by the South Front are in the process of being restored. This work is being funded by a generous gift from the Association.
The College stonemasonry team are using special lime mortar to restore the walls which were originally constructed around 1810 when the old South Front was built. They were later moved to be parallel with the garden walls, but this move was unpopular as the balls kept going into the garden. In the late 1880s, when the present South Front was built, the walls were again moved to where they stand today.
One of the walls has now been completed and the second wall is underway.