Miss D Atherton
Mr S Charles
Mrs E Kay (Head of PE)
Mrs Y Luker
Mr S McGinnis
Mrs V Watson
Ms N Caunt (Graduate Gap Student)
Physical Education at Stonyhurst College augments a vibrant and extensive Games programme, underpinned by a policy of ‘Sport for all’.
Lower Grammar PE
In Lower Grammar (Year 9), the pupils have the option of undertaking Core PE or the Sports Leadership Award (Level 1). Core PE comprises of a rotation of sports including Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Dance, Football, Health Related Fitness, Orienteering, Swimming and Personal Survival and Volleyball. Pupils will change sports every half-term. The course aims to contribute to the development of fundamental motor and sport specific skills. This allows each individual to improve their body management through personal experience of movement that requires thought, as well as physical effort, and which aims to improve performance, personal achievement, understanding and enjoyment.
As of September 2011, pupils have the opportunity to undertake the Sports Leadership Award. This award provides the ideal starting point for candidates who wish to develop their leadership skills which can be applied to a variety of sports and recreational situations as well as contributing to the personal development of the candidate. The award is a practical qualification in which candidates must demonstrate their ability to lead others in practical activities. Undertaking the award is not only strongly recommended for pupils wishing to take GCSE PE, but also as a well-regarded and widely-respected stand-alone qualification in itself.
GCSE Physical Education
The GCSE course follows the OCR specification (J586). Throughout Grammar and Syntax, pupils will undertake a double period of practical sports activity and two theoretical periods per week. 60% of the overall mark is based on practical performance in four sports and as well as the production of two pieces of coursework focusing on the analysis of lifestyle and performance. The remaining 40% of the marks are attained through two separate one hour examinations, one being sat in each year.
A-level Physical Education
The A-level course follows the OCR specification (H554). The syllabus is a broad and challenging one, requiring a multi-disciplinary approach and a diverse range of analytical and research skills. The specifications are based on the interaction between the theory and practise of Physical Education. At AS-level, there is a requirement of two practical performances and an oral synoptic, reducing to one practical performance at A2 level. Although it is not essential to have studied GCSE Physical Education, candidates are advised to carefully discuss undertaking A-level Physical Education with the Head of Department to ascertain their suitability for this course.
Career/Higher Education opportunities
In terms of university and career opportunities, the options are as varied as they are numerous. There are many degree courses, which combine Physical Education with most other disciplines in addition to courses where it is the sole component. Career opportunities in the rapidly expanding leisure and sporting industry are equally numerous. Successful candidates in this subject are prized by employers, due to their experience in the multi-disciplinary approach required in this area of study.