Mr D. Eachus (Head of Department)
Mr M. Heaven
Mr B. Ashley (Technician)
Mr S. Molloy (Technician)
Mr A. Mercer (Technician)
The Department aims to:
Develop pupils' problem solving skills
Encourage pupils to take a broad view of technology and design
Develop the capacity to design and make products
Develop an appreciation of the complex relationships between design, materials, manufacture and marketing.
Design and Technology at Stonyhurst
The Design and Technology courses cover the study of Resistant Materials and Product Design. The pupils learn to use bodies of knowledge, to enhance the quality of their work on the Design Process, Health and Safety, Graphical Techniques, Materials and their manipulation, Quality Control and Mechanical Principles. At GCSE and AS/A2 Level practical work is central to the courses and help develop the ability to acquire knowledge, especially the fostering of imaginative and critical thinking.
Lower Grammar (Year 9)
In Lower Grammar the pupils are given an introduction to the knowledge and skills that they will require at GCSE.
GCSE Course (Year 10 & 11)
The Specifications followed at GCSE are:
AQA Resistant Materials 1354. This requires the pupils to design and manufacture a product for a problem set by the Examination Board. This Controlled Assessment coursework represents 60% of the grade. The remaining 40% is allocated to an end of course exam.
AQA Graphic Products 4552. This requires the pupils to design and manufacture a graphic based product for a problme set by the Examination Board. This Controlled Assessment coursework represents 60% of the grade. The remaining 40% is allocated to an end of course exam.
AS / A2 Course (Year 12 & 13)
The Specification followed at GCE is AQA D&T: Product Design.
AS unit 1 - Materials and Components Exam, unit 2- Coursework.
A2 unit 3 - Theory Exam, unit 4- Project Coursework.