The UK's leading Catholic boarding and day school for 3-18 year olds.
Stonyhurst is a springboard to a life of purpose. As we guide every pupil through their own individual academic, sporting, creative, spiritual and emotional journey, we watch with great pride as our boys and girls grow to be men and women for others.
Quant Je Puis — ‘As much as I can’
• 'The playrooms at break times certainly seem friendly places, a mad throng of chat.'
• 'Broad curriculum allows students to follow their interests.'
• 'Outward looking and inclusive Catholic boarding school.'
• 'Pupils are encouraged to become their best selves, give back to the world and aspire to great heights academically.'
• 'Impressive array of sports facilities'.
'With the oldest museum in the English speaking world and five libraries at their disposal, it's no wonder academic results are strong. Success extends outside the classroom: the girls' cricket team are the 2020 indoor champions, Little Shop of Horrors was a hit, and, thanks to a pupil led initiative, a Syrian refugee family now lives happily in the local community. 'Quant je puis' indeed.'
Even the most secular can’t fail to be amazed by Stonyhurst, and with its superlative facilities, high-quality teaching and extraordinary heritage comes immense privilege. Most children peer at Henry VII’s cope and chasuble in a textbook – at Stonyhurst, they are there in the classroom with them. How’s that for bragging rights?
During a private visit you will begin by meeting the Headmaster, Mr John Browne for Stonyhurst College and Fr Christopher Cann for St Mary's Hall. You will then have the opportunity to meet other key members of our staff to talk more specifically about areas you are interested in on a one-to-one basis.
Scholarships are the highest awards offered by Stonyhurst and are granted at the discretion of the Headmaster. Scholarships offer an enriched pathway including individualised support, trips across the globe and more...
Available Scholarships are: Academic, Art, Drama, Music, Sport, All-Rounder and the St Francis Xavier award.
Pupils at Stonyhurst pursue a life of purpose achieving academic excellence alongside spiritual and emotional growth and learn to embody our school motto, ‘Quant je puis’, meaning ‘as much as I can’, in every activity. Stonyhurst encourages each individual pupil to thrive by enabling them to find, develop and use their unique talents; creating great leaders of the future.
If you believe that Stonyhurst could be the best option for your son or daughter, the admissions section below provides information about the application process for UK and international applicants, plus other information that you will find useful in guiding your decision.
Meet our Director of Admissions
Contact Helen Eastham, our Director of Admissions, who will be happy to help answer any questions you have about life at Stonyhurst, and can aid you on your admission's journey alongside our experienced Registrars.
Our Mission and Identity
- Develop our pupils' talents by challenging them to give of their very best in all that they do, to the Greater Glory of God.
- Be a caring, supportive and prayerful community of pupils, staff and parents, with Jesus at the centre.
- Prepare young people intellectually, spiritually and emotionally to provide leadership in facing the problems of the modern world.
- Nurture independently-minded young people, able to think for themselves, and to stand up for their beliefs.
- Know each of our pupils as individuals, provide for their individual needs, and help them become well-rounded adults.
- Prepare young people to play an active role in the Church today.
- Encourage our pupils to become men and women who will do as much as they can for other people.
- Help our pupils to find God in the majesty of His creation, and to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to them.
We are all different - and this is a place which embraces all kinds of talents and people. Stonyhurst allows us to focus on what we are good at, and to do what we love.
Aitana, Sixth Form Pupil
was a pupil here
Has a 100% pass rate for IB and A-level
22 sports pitches
1:7 teacher to pupil ratio
Is fully operational
slept in the Top Ref
35,000 artefacts within our museum
to perform a Shakespeare play
have been awarded the Victoria Cross
was a pupil here