Early Years to KS2
Hodder House, Pre-Prep and Elements
Under the guidance of our specialist PE teachers, there is a comprehensive PE programme, where the emphasis is on pupils learning about themselves and those around them. Children learn individual skills and collective responsibility. Children learn to win and to lose well.
Over the course of their time at SMH, they develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others.
They engage in competitive and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations, learning to enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and how to evaluate and recognise their own success.
Pupils are taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, (modified where appropriate) such as, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance (for example, through athletics and gymnastics)
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.