A family like no other...
At Stonyhurst College and Stonyhurst St Mary’s Hall, we understand what it means to be part of a military family, for both the children and the parents. With a long tradition of welcoming armed forces families, Stonyhurst encourages individuality and the opportunity for children to become all that they can be.
We recognise that military life can disrupt continuity of education for children and that a long-term, stable environment provides more opportunities to develop all round potential. Living in a supportive and diverse community, our pupils develop those qualities of character that will distinguish them in later life as men and women for others.
Why choose Stonyhurst for your family?
- Excellent pastoral care. At Stonyhurst we believe in Cura personalis or ‘care for the whole person’. With the support of their Assistant Head and Houseparents, our boarders are guaranteed to find a caring and supportive environment in which they can thrive and settle very quickly. We celebrate individuality and encourage pupils to find and nurture their passion and talent.
- Strong academic results. At the heart of everything that we do is delivering an exceptional education for our pupils and ensuring that their formation, both inside and outside of the classroom, is the best in the world. With small classes and positive teacher-pupil relationships enable pupils to achieve their full academic potential.
- Over 100 co-curricular activities on offer. We have a fantastic choice of sports and co-curricular activities including Combined Cadet Force and The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme.
- Unparalleled facilities include a swimming pool, a nine-hole golf course, all-weather pitch, and indoor and outdoor tennis courts.
- Strong links with other military families, including our alumni and current families.
Boarding at Stonyhurst
Stonyhurst provides a seven-days-a-week boarding environment, offering a home from home environment, there are no exeat weekends here, but parents can take their children out with prior arrangement. Living in a supportive and diverse community, with no exeat weekend, this means we often have full boarding houses at the weekend for our boarders to enjoy a vibrant weekend programme together.
Almost half of our pupils board, and 90% of those are full boarders.
Fee Support for Serving Military Families (Forces’ Continuity of Education Allowance)
We offer generous fee support packages offering up to 90% discount for serving military families.
For eligible families, the Forces’ Continuity of Education Allowance (CEA) can help towards the costs of boarding school. The allowance, up to 90% of the school fee, is available for children who start school the year which they turn 8 years old up to when they turn 18/19 years old. Please note that you must claim before your child reaches Year 12, as new awards are not given to Years 12 and 13.
We provide an additional discount of 20% in receipt of the Continuous Education Allowance. We also provide a sibling discount of 10% for a second child and 20% for a third.
Preparatory School - Ages 8 - 13
|Senior School - Ages 13 - 18|
|Forces' 20% discount (paid by Stonyhurst)||(£1,9,16)||(£2,524)|
|CEA (paid by government) as at 1st August 2021||(£6,096)||(£7,847)|
|Parental contribution, before a scholarship/bursary/sibling discount||£1,568||£2,249|
To discuss your finance options and to receive a tailored quote personalised to your family's requirements, please contact our Bursar, Mr Simon Marsden, by email here.
In recognition of the incremental financial cost to families who wish to educate more than one of their children at Stonyhurst, the Governors have agreed a sliding scale of support as shown below to support military families. This reduction of fees applies whilst the children are in attendance at the same time and will be adjusted appropriately as each sibling leaves.
1st child in attendance 0%
2nd child in attendance 10% reduction
3rd child in attendance 20% reduction
4th child in attendance 30% reduction
Stonyhurst is set in a magnificent Grade I listed building within a secluded and safe 1000 acre estate, in a beautiful rural setting in Lancashire’s Ribble Valley, England. We are only 2 hours away from London and 1 hour from International airports (Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds). We offer accompanied travel to/from London and main airports.
At Stonyhurst, we are lucky to have access to the Christian Heritage Centre for parents who are visiting their children if they wish to stay overnight. This wonderful building sits on the Stonyhurst estate, right next to the school. Parents can easily visit and watch their children play sport etc. at the weekend and get as involved as they would like with the parent programme.