Stonyhurst is a springboard to a life of purpose. We empower our boys and girls to be the best that they can be, shaping leaders of the future who carry a sense of purpose and a desire to make the world a better place. As we guide every pupil through their own individual academic, sporting, creative, spiritual and emotional journey, we watch with great pride as our boys and girls grow to be men and women for others.
Quant je puis - 'As much as I can'.
Ranked in the ‘Top 10’ UK league table of small cohort IB schools, pupils thrive in a unique environment, studying a world-class education that enables young people to become all that they can be.
The Stonyhurst Experience offers two, three, and four-week residential English Language teaching courses for children aged 10-16 years. There are two programme routes to cater for different interests – the English with Activities programme and the English with Tennis course.
• Rated Excellent in all areas.
• Pupils possess strong study skills and take an inquiry-based approach to their studies.
• Pupils are highly articulate and speak with eloquence when addressing others.
• Pupils show strong levels of perseverance when faced with challenges.
• Pupils demonstrate high levels of self-esteem.
• Pupils have a strong appreciation for the multi-cultural nature and diversity of the school community.
• 'The playrooms at break times certainly seem friendly places, a mad throng of chat.'
• 'Broad curriculum allows students to follow their interests.'
• 'Outward looking and inclusive Catholic boarding school.'
• 'Pupils are encouraged to become their best selves, give back to the world and aspire to great heights academically.'
• 'Impressive array of sports facilities'.
'With the oldest museum in the English speaking world and five libraries at their disposal, it's no wonder academic results are strong. Success extends outside the classroom: the girls' cricket team are the 2020 indoor champions, Little Shop of Horrors was a hit, and, thanks to a pupil led initiative, a Syrian refugee family now lives happily in the local community. 'Quant je puis' indeed.'
Even the most secular can’t fail to be amazed by Stonyhurst, and with its superlative facilities, high-quality teaching and extraordinary heritage comes immense privilege. Most children peer at Henry VII’s cope and chasuble in a textbook – at Stonyhurst, they are there in the classroom with them. How’s that for bragging rights?
College life is fast paced and varied. Of course we encourage our pupils to work hard academically - we are first and foremost a leading independent school after all - but life at Stonyhurst extends far beyond the classroom. We recognise the importance of developing the whole individual so that our boys and girls are well-rounded, confident and ready to succeed in the real world.
Below you can find out about about our strong academic departments, the extensive programme of co-curricular activities that we offer, our world class facilities and more.
Take a look around
If you believe that Stonyhurst could be the best private school for your son or daughter, the admissions section below provides information about the application process for UK and international applicants, plus other information that you will find useful in guiding your decision.
Meet our Director of Admissions
Contact Helen Eastham, our Director of Admissions, who will be happy to help answer any questions you have about life at Stonyhurst College, and can aid you on your admission's journey alongside our experienced Registrars.
Our Mission and Identity
- Develop our pupils' talents by challenging them to give of their very best in all that they do, to the Greater Glory of God.
- Be a caring, supportive and prayerful community of pupils, staff and parents, with Jesus at the centre.
- Prepare young people intellectually, spiritually and emotionally to provide leadership in facing the problems of the modern world.
- Nurture independently-minded young people, able to think for themselves, and to stand up for their beliefs.
- Know each of our pupils as individuals, provide for their individual needs, and help them become well-rounded adults.
- Prepare young people to play an active role in the Church today.
- Encourage our pupils to become men and women who will do as much as they can for other people.
- Help our pupils to find God in the majesty of His creation, and to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to them.
Scholarships are the highest awards offered by Stonyhurst and are granted at the discretion of the Headmaster. Scholarships offer an enriched pathway including individualised support, trips across the globe and more...
At 13+ there are Scholarships available for: Academic, Art, Drama, Music and the St Francis Xavier award.
was a pupil here
Has a 92% pass rate for A levels and the IBDP
22 sports pitches
1:7 teacher to pupil ratio
Is fully operational
slept in the Top Ref
35,000 artefacts within our museum
to perform a Shakespeare play
have been awarded the Victoria Cross
was a pupil here