English as an Additional Language
The EAL Department supports the academic success and pastoral well-being of our international pupils by providing English language tuition for pupils whose first language is not English.
The department aims to:
- Promote a caring and supportive environment which encourages integration, inclusion and respect for pupils from other cultures and faiths
- Provide pupils with the necessary language skills to access the wider curriculum
- Prepare pupils for the Cambridge ESOL examinations, IELTS, IGCSE ESOL and IB English B
- Help pupils to feel at home within the school community
- Support each individual pupil’s needs by helping them to develop their English language skills in a supportive environment
Stonyhurst College is an inclusive, caring environment, which has a long history of supporting pupils from all over the world. The EAL department offers a comprehensive curriculum delivered by committed and enthusiastic members of staff who have the best interests of their pupils at heart. By choosing Stonyhurst, international parents and pupils can feel confident that their academic and pastoral needs will be met in a professional and supportive environment.
Higher Line Options
Higher Line pupils are also able to opt for additional English language support as part of their curriculum. For those pupils who are planning to enter university in the UK, and who do not have GCSE English at grade C or above or an equivalent qualification, we offer preparation for the IELTS examination. Alternatively, if pupils are planning to leave the UK at the end of Years 12 or 13, pupils can prepare for one of the Cambridge ESOL examinations (FCE, CAE or CPE).
Details about each exam can be found at the websites below:
Take the next step
We can't wait to welcome you and your child/children to the Stonyhurst family.
A private visit gives you the opportunity to meet other key members of staff and to talk more specifically about areas you are interested in on a 121 basis.