An essential ingredient
Jesuit education is about the formation of the whole person, both inside the classroom but also more broadly through the experiences that help young people to form their characters and identify their purpose in life. The history of the College provides us with a template for the key aspects of an all-round education that helps facilitate this personal growth. These are: Adventure, drawing upon a history of Jesuit exploration, scientific innovation and global travel; Chaplaincy, ensuring our key identity as Jesuit Catholic school remains at the heart of all we do at the College and in our wider community; Performing Arts where we continue to develop our ability to articulate what we believe and the confidence to say it before others; and Sport where the shared endeavour of a community that has always been integral to the College comes through most clearly. Through a programme of activities, societies, trip and events, we seek to help our pupils discover their passions and support them in maximising their potential.
During their time at Stonyhurst, every pupil will:
- Serve at least one year in the College CCF
- Complete their Bronze DofE (with a view to progressing to Silver and Gold awards)
- Contribute to a charitable service project for at least one year
- Complete their Faith in Action Bronze Award (with a view to progressing to Silver and Gold awards)
- Plan and deliver a service for their Playroom and their families
- Participate in a theatrical production, either on the stage or as part of the team behind it
- Participate in a musical event
- Sing on stage in front of a live audience
- Represent the College or their Line in sport
- Take part in three Games sessions each week
- Support at least one theatrical or musical production as an audience member
- Support at least one sporting fixture as a spectator
Ultimately, what the co-curricular programme aims to achieve is to create well-rounded men and women who can go out into the world with a set of skills and experiences that set them apart, giving them qualities which allow them to become leaders in our world and the catalyst for positive change. Our College motto is Quant Je Puis, As Much as a I Can, and it is this key message of doing more than is easy, more than is expected, more than others would do which lies at the heart of the co-curricular programme at Stonyhurst.
Take the next step
We would love to welcome you and your child to the Stonyhurst family. Our Virtual Private Visits are your opportunity to find out more about Stonyhurst College.
Days here are full, with a dizzying array of co-curricular clubs and first-class sporting opportunities, whether on the rugby field or in the tennis dome.
Tatler Schools Guide 2022
What is on offer?
Team and individual sports are central to Stonyhurst life.
Duke of Edinburgh's Award
Creating ambitious and adventurous individuals.
We offer opportunities to all our pupils across the fine and performing arts.
Clubs and Speakers
Find peers who share your passion.
Combined Cadet Force
Our Combined Cadet Force has been the pride of our school for generations.
Unrivalled facilities to host a wealth of activities.
Clubs include politics, philosophy, robotics, astronomy, economics. Impressive range of speakers, recently Professor Robert Winston, historian Lord Hennessy, plus academics and politicians (we imagine Jacob Rees Mogg was thought-provoking at the very least). CCF compulsory for the first two years and most continue thereafter. DofE strong.
The Good Schools Guide