Healthcare for International Pupils


The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s state healthcare system providing a wide range of services including appointments with a doctor, hospital treatment and dental care. Those applying for a student visa and coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of their visa application fee. The immigration health surcharge will entitle students to access the NHS in the UK at no additional cost in the same way as a permanent UK resident. This includes at the Doctor's surgery (known as General Practitioner or GP), a Healthcare Centre or in a hospital, with the exception of dental and optical care.

If you are planning to study for less than six months, you are advised to take out medical insurance as you will be liable for NHS charges for the treatment you receive in the UK except for in a medical emergency and this is limited. Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with the UK which may entitle you to some free healthcare on the NHS but you should seek advice from the health authorities in your home country about what treatment will be covered. EEA nationals should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

As a family we would like to thank you for all the support and help you gave it to our son, especially when he was struggling with his health.

Mr & Mrs Khan, Parents

Medical and Dental Insurance 

Hospital services, both in-patient and out-patient, can be accessed through the National Health Service. Parents who prefer private hospital care for their children, if this is required during the school term, are advised to take out the appropriate health insurance.  

It is strongly recommended that overseas pupils have private medical insurance while in the UK. If, on the other hand, your child is already covered by other medical insurance, please inform the Health Centre. It is important this insurance is recognised in the UK.  

Information about the School Fees Protection Scheme and about Accident Insurance is available from the College Accounts Office.  

Routine dental care and orthodontic treatment is not easily available on the NHS, and should be wherever possible, carried out at home during holiday periods.  

Emergency dental treatment is available during the school term. All overseas and UK boarders are included in the Denplan for Schools Scheme. This is compulsory to ensure that any initial dental emergency is dealt with promptly and with certainty. All weekly boarders are included in the Denplan for Schools Scheme unless we receive a specific letter from parents stating that they want to continue with their own personal arrangements to cover their child’s dental treatment in an emergency.  

Day pupils will not be entered into the Denplan for Schools Scheme unless we receive a specific letter from parents stating that they wish their child to be included in the scheme to cover their child’s dental treatment in an emergency. 

Orthodontic assessment and treatment can be arranged privately, at an additional cost.

For More Information

To find out more about our health centre support or to discuss our resources in further detail, please contact us by clicking on the buttons below:

+44 (0) 1254 827100

Where do you want to go next?